Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mormon Scientist

I just finished this book. I loved it. It was one of those book that I had to read slowly so I understood everything. I did not want to miss a thing. I had to look up the theory he came up with. I can not imagine how difficult it was to study chemistry and physics with out knowing all the things we take for granted now. That ART theory is the key to everything. Imagine doing all of that with sliderules. What could he have done with a computer. He was amazing. He was also so caring.

One of my favorite stories was about his son Hal,(Henry B. Eyring). To live at home for college, the price of room and board was a physics major. Since he lived with one of the greatest mathematicians of all times, he often asked his dad for help. When Henry realized he was helping with the same kind of problems over and over he asked him, " When you walk down the street, when you're in the shower, when you don't have to be thinking about anything else, isn't this what you think about?" That just made me laugh. Who thinks about physics that much. That reminded me so much of my dad. He thought about chemistry that way. But then I thought about what I do think about like that. I came to the realization that I think about my family like that. My children-Kaber especially right now-my husband. What they are doing? Where are they? Are they happy? Are they safe? I decided that is ok. It made me think I have my priorities in the right place. This is the guilt of a working mom talking. I don't think about school like that, so I know my real priority is my family.

Enough of that. I really loved this book. I recommend it to everyone that has the least interest in science.

I can't get my picture to post but I will do it later.

No comments: