Tuesday, September 16, 2008


Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
I love this author. She has such diversity and depth. I love how she takes a story I have known all my life and makes it fresh and fun. Happy birthday to her on Sept. 17th.

The heroine of Fairest is Aza. An abandoned child that was raised by a very kind innkeeper and his wife. What I love most about Aza is that she is not the perfect heroine. She is not beautiful and is bigger than what is considered acceptably beautiful. She does have a fabulous voice. It is very loosely based on the story of Snow White. I love it

This book is one of many books by Levine that I have read. Most are based on fairy tales but my favorite is a historical fiction called Dave at Night. This is different than her usual genre but she did it so well. I read an interview with her where she said it was the book for which she had to do the most research. It is great. I also love her picture books. Here is others that I like.

Betsy Who Cried Wolf

Ella Enchanted

The Wish

Two Princesses of Bamarre

2 comments:

Julie Castellon said...

I, too, am a lover of Gail Carson Levine. I still haven't read "Dave at Night," I'd better get on it.

Kassie said...

I loved Ella Enchanted.